Sleep Dentistry in Melbourne
Most of us have a fear of something, and a lot of patients do have some form of anxiety when visiting the dentist.
That is why we offer sleep dentistry at Pinnacle Dental Docklands. Putting our patients at ease when they come for a visit is important whilst we provide with quality dentistry while you sleep, we provide milder forms of sedation (e.g. Happy Gas) for people with less anxiety and less severe treatments.
Sleep Dentistry (Intravenous Sedation) also known as twilight dentistry is a procedure during which a Specialist Anaesthetist injects medications directly into the bloodstream, which causes you to go to sleep.
Sleep Dentistry allows dentists to provide dental care for many patients who otherwise would not be able to receive treatment. It is a very safe procedure and brings patient comfort to incomparable levels.
If you suffer from dental anxiety, fear of the dentist, or you are scared of needles, or have a gag reflex or do not like the sound of drills, then sleep and sedation dentistry is a perfect option for you. It will minimise treatment time and maximise comfort. You will sleep through your appointment and have no memory of it!
Complex and simple dental treatments can be completed in one to two appointments as opposed to multiple appointments.
Sleep Dentistry is Suitable for Patients who are/have:
- Fearful of needles or drills
- Strong gag reflex
- Overly sensitive teeth
- Unable to sit still on the dental chair
- In need for a significant amount of dental work
- Special needs
- Time poor and want the most comfortable experience
- Unable to go through General Anaesthesia (GA)
Procedures that suit Sleep Dentistry:
- Fillings, crowns and onlays
- Root canal treatment
- Professional Scale & Clean
- Extractions of teeth
- Wisdom Teeth surgeries
- Dental Implants
Before undergoing dental treatment with IV Sedation, you will need to visit Pinnacle Dental for a comprehensive check-up and a review of your medical history.
Benefits of IV Sedation and General Anaesthesia:
- Relaxes you during your treatment – IV Sedation reduces the stress and anxiety associated with dental treatment.
- Time-efficient – you can often have multiple procedures completed in one visit.
- Treatment in comfortable surroundings – treatment is provided on-site at Pinnacle Dental. Most patients are admitted as day patients and are discharged within a few hours after the procedure.
- IV Sedation is available to all qualified candidates for the procedure.
- You do not need any private health insurance to have dental treatment under IV Sedation
Is Sleep Dentistry Safe?
One of the risks associated with this procedure is the application of anaesthesia.
Although most anaesthesia is safe, anaesthetics must be administered by an experienced health care professional.
It is important for obese patients or those who have obstructive sleep apnoea to consult their dentist before being sedated because the anaesthesia may result in complications.
During the Dental treatment:
The Patient will be connected to a monitor, which will assess the pulse, blood pressure, oxygen level and breathing. There will also be a small cannula inserted in the arm to deliver the “Happy medicine” which will make your Patient sleepy. This dream-like state is in between being awake and being asleep. It will be maintained till the Dental treatment concludes. Patients find it warm, pleasant, and very calming. The Australian Dental Anaesthetists ensures: 1) Patient suitability for day case care. 2) Patients are managed following national Australian guidelines. 3) Attendance by a Specialist Anaesthetist throughout procedures. 4) The provision of oxygen during procedures. 5) Availability of emergency drugs and equipment. 6) Comprehensive patient monitoring: (Blood Pressure, Oxygen Saturation, Pulse, Breathing and ETCO2).
Cost of Sleep Dentistry:
Anaesthetic Fee varies according to the duration of the procedure. Generally, up to 40% of the cost “as Medicare Rebates” will be paid back to the patient.
- a dental procedure of 60 min will cost $700 (of which around $250 will be paid back to you).
- a dental procedure of 120 min will cost $1100 (of which around $400 will be paid back to you).