How To Keep Kids Teeth Healthy
Parents understand the value of good oral health and the positive health habits that come with it. It is, therefore, important to pass these habits onto children. The ultimate goal of kids dentistry is to keep them healthy and cavity-free to make way for healthy adult teeth. Whilst false theory suggests that adult teeth matter more than milk teeth, this couldn’t be further from the truth. Positive oral health habits have a direct impact on the development of kids’ mouth. The ability to eat well, sleep well and general mouth functioning requires positive oral health.
The Five Tips
So, how do you keep your kids’ teeth healthy? Here are some helpful tips to keep their mouth shiny and healthy.
- Educate Them – Whilst they’re young and developing, educate your child about the reasons why keeping teeth shiny and healthy is important to the overall quality of life. A happy smile is the first thing that people see. Whilst educating them, be practical and show them how to brush teeth so they can get accustomed to it themselves.
- Be A Role Model – Kids at a young age tend to imitate those who are older than them. As a parent, demonstrate the healthy oral habits you adopt to keep your teeth clean. Brush and floss at the same time as your child so they can become accustomed to doing it every day and eventually, be able to brush and floss themselves.
- Take Them To Dentist Regularly – The dentist is best placed in understanding the state of oral health. Children may be anxious when being told about visiting the dentist for the first time. Gently make them understand why visiting the dentist is as equally important as brushing teeth. Eventually, kids will become accustomed to visiting the dentist regularly.
- Use Rewards – Kids will do anything if a treat is put forward in front of them. If there are incentives for the child, then this will more likely make them look after their own teeth. Consider using a goal chart to track their progress and reward them if they meet a certain target.
- Make It Fun – Kids always want to do something that is fun. Although brushing teeth isn’t the most fun thing in the world for adults, you can make it fun for children. Allow them to choose their own brush that they love to use. You can also play dental games that not only educate them but makes them enjoy it as well.
Is your kid’s teeth suffering from discolouration? Read here to learn about its causes and treatment solutions
It is never easy to ensure kids stick to good oral health habits. However, as they and their mouth develop, speak to them regularly and encourage them to look after teeth every day. Remind them of the dangers and benefits and provide rewards for keeping teeth shiny and clean. Check out more information here and find a dentist near me.
Pinnacle Family Dental is always welcoming children to our practice every day. We promise to keep it fun and relaxing the minute they step into the practice. Contact us here to book your kid’s appointment!